Well, the problem is the tub. I did not want to replace the when it is a very nice tub. I also didn't want them to rip it out to put the faucet on and charge me $300 for doing it. When the shower was ripped out we tried to put the faucet on then by cutting through the wall that is between the tub and the shower. But you can't get your hand under the faucet because of the curve of the tub. We then tried going to every plumbing supply store in SC to find what is called a trim kit. So we could just use the same plumbing but change out the handles and spout. But they laugh at us. It is to old and no match can me found. Well then there is only one thing left to do.
CUT A HOLE. My plan was to have Lewis cut a whole in the side and change the stuff out. Then we will build a front frame with bead board ( who doesn't like bead board) and trim to make it look like a drop in tub. He said sure he can do that.
Here is the hole and the "All so worth it " faucet and spout. Lewis was a plumber and knows how to do this part but he is not a builder. He did make our old kitchen island and put up crown molding but this is his first attempt at something like this.
Here is the frame which is held on by liquid nails on the sides where the wood can touch the tub. With the curves the middle part is unable to touch.
He removed the baseboard so the wood could go all the way to the wall.
The we got this flat 4 inch wide piece of trim for $6 per 12 foot. He had to shave off an inch so it fit without going pass the shower wall on the right side of the tub.
There is a a gap in between the tub and the wood.
He notched the sides so it was a prefect fit to the curve of the tub on the sides.
The he cut the beadboard down to size. and glued it to the wood frame. The using headless nails hammed nails into the top and bottom of the beadboard. Beadboard cost $10.99 for a 4x8 piece.
Then he used a 2inch wide flat wood trim $6 for 12 foot to frame the bottom and the sides. Under the top part he put a piece of quarter round.
The he cut the baseboards to fit the new space and caulked and around the wood trim and the baseboards.
This is the side baseboard.
This is a bad picture but it is showing the gap between the tub and the frame now caulked and looking good.
Now 3 hrs later it is done including clean up time. The biggest time consuming factor was the cutting. Measure cut then bring the wood upstair and then go back and cut a hair off the wood again.
So $600 if we got a new tub, $300 to pull tub out replace faucet and put tub back or $70 for a new build in tub look.
I am so proud of Lewis for doing such an amazing job.