Monday, April 8, 2019

My thought on Autism Awareness.

For Autism Awareness month I thought I who let people know what I would want people to be aware of about Autism.
First this is just my list and it may not be someone else's.  We have a saying, "if you have met one kid with Autism you have met one kid with Autism."  That means no 2 are alike.  So, when we say our son has Autism then you tell us how a kid your son goes to school with has Autism, that doesn't mean anything to us and we really don't know what to say after that but "ok".  They have even different health concerns and different abilities.
Next, there is no Scientist or doctor on the planet who knows what causes Autism so please don't tell us you know it is caused by genetics.  As a family that has had 3 genetic test we know it isn't.  We say in the Autism world that "genetics loads the gun but environment pulls the trigger". What causes it in one person may not be the thing that causes it in another.
Lastly, Autism family members are accidental activist so we have no problem answering questions about Autism and most of us don't mind talking about it at all.  We are not ashamed of it so it is not rude to ask us questions because the more you know the more others will know and that is what awareness is all about.

I will tell you that there are many camps in the autism world.  For myself I don't think of autism much on the day to day.  It doesn't defend my family.  Some families define themselves as a military family, a Christian family, or a special needs family.  Well, we are a Jewish family, a natural family (planet based products avoid chemicals and plastic), we are a homeschooling family and then a special needs family.  Even though I have 2 special needs kids.  I do worry about autism and the future a lot but that is a different post.  Most people with autism in their family will be either an autism family or a special needs family.  But that is not the camps.  I can tell if I am in the same camp with another autism family by asking one question.  What do you think of Autism Speaks?  If you like them or support them you should get off this post right now but I am not in that camp at all.  I am in the Autism speaks doesn't speak for me camp.   Autism speak people have their kids one bunch of meds for behavior.  Autism doesn't speak people change the kids diet and remove chemicals for behavior changes.  We talk about cleaning the gut, probiotics, supplements.  We go to birthday parties with the gluten free cake and talk about how great the infrared sauna has helped with detoxing.  See our kids don't detox on their own because most of them have the mthfr gene mutation.  We compare B12 supplement chewables.   When you go to the Autism speak people it is all red dye number 5, artificial sweeteners and mom's comparing which meds have helped and which meds made their kids rage.  If you think I am judging, well I am because this is my blog and I can judge away.
Do I think one way is better than another, yes.  If I didn't I wouldn't be in one camp.  My kids are hurt by the side effects of the meds and we strictly stay away from them and I would tell anyone to do the same.  I don't want a zombie for a kid because it is better than them being loud. 


Yes, you would have been a Nazi.

 People often say that if they lived in Nazi Germany that they would not have gone along with the Germans.  They would have known it was wro...