Thursday, October 24, 2013

Core beliefs check list

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I AM NOT TRYING TO CHANGE ANYONE'S FAITH.  JUST WRITING MY STORY. 
Step 1 
The first thing I did was see what beliefs Judaism has and how it differs from Christianity,
I need to know if there was beliefs I would be happy following or if it was just went against my core beliefs.  I have very set values and it takes a lot to change them.  I ask my husband if he thought he could give up Jesus, Christmas, Easter and maybe a few other things may have to change.  He didn't care either way. I was a little surprised he didn't feel a struggle with the holidays at least.  Or the fact that we would be different from everyone else.  At this point I didn't know if he was going to go down this road with me.

I googled why do Jews not believe in Jesus.  From that I learned what the messiah in the Bible was suppose to do and Jesus didn't do those things.  

http://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html?s=mpw


  Christians say he will in the second coming but G-d didn't say there would be a second time.  And if there is going to be a second time why not a 3rd or 4th time.  G-d will do what he says when he says and not change the rules.  He is perfect.  He didn't say he would send a messiah who isn't going to do the things the messiah is suppose to do but promises he will do that next time he comes.


Judaism believes that Jesus is one of the false Jewish Messiah claimants because he failed to

fulfill any Messianic prophecies, which include:
Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease.
As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says:
"God will be King over all the world ― on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
Regarding the Christian idea that these prophecies will be fulfilled during a "second coming," Ohr Samayach states 
"we find this to be a contrived answer, since there is no mention of a second coming in the Jewish Bible. Second, 
why couldn't God accomplish His goals the first time round?" Rabbi David Wolpe believes that the Second Coming was "grown out of genuine disappointment" and invented by Christians to theologically compensate for Jesus' death.

  And Hebrew was not translated the same when the Greeks translated it.  So the old testament is different from the original Hebrew.  Like the messiah is a person not the son of G-d, he is born to a woman who is old enough to have a child not a virgin.  From the line of David which Mary was not so Jesus is not.  He would be a king (a real earthly one) not a heavenly one.  He would do many things.  http://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach.htm
When I read the answers I honestly didn't know how anyone could belief Jesus was anything more than just a man or maybe a made up story.  We don't know.
THIS IS MY OPINION PLEASE DO NOT FEEL OFFENDED.  JEWS ARE NOT OFFENDED THAT YOU DO BELIEVE SO PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED THAT WE DO NOT.
 I found so many Greek and pagan gods that predated Jesus by at least 300 years with the exact details as Jesus. It seemed like they just retold a stolen story.  All these different gods were born the same day December 25, to a virgin,  had 3 wise men bring gifts,  followed a star,  had 12 disciples, died for 3 days and came back. http://www.sanfords.net/Framed_pages/origins_of_christianity.shtml   After learning this information I felt like this is something I should have known already.  How is it that no one talks about this stuff. Why has it taken me this long to check out this information.
I googled other Jewish beliefs like Life after death, Sin, and Satan,  Everything I read I thought was wonderful.
The beliefs I read I wholeheartedly believed and agreed with already.  It was such a burden being lifted off of me. I wasn't a non believing Christian any more.  I knew then that I was a Jew. It had been here all along waiting for me to find it.

The pages I read are listed here.

.http://www.shamash.org/lists/scj-faq/HTML/faq/12-35.html  http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/Do-Jews-Believe-In-Sin.htm
http://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm

Churches I have attended base so much on fear.  Fear of satan doing something bad to you.  Fear of not getting into Heaven.  From what I read about Jewish beliefs there is no fear of those things.  All actions are done to show G-d how thankful we are and living a good and meaningful life.  It is about finding the joy around you, living fully, and experiencing this world for all it has to offer.  I have never hear this before from a religion.  I thought we were here to learn to love G-d and trying not to do anything that would keep you from Heaven.  To not be of this world so Jesus can make a heavenly home for us. But to enjoy life is a new movement for me.  It is like on a child's birthday and he opens the present you worked so hard to get him and you just watch him play with it for hours and he is so happy, which makes you happy.  I feel G-d is that parent and he wants to sit back and watch us enjoy this gift of life he has given to us.  This thought has made me feel so much closer to G-d.  A G-d that wants my happiness and joy as much as my obedience.

At this point I have been talking with Lewis about what I had learned.  By the end of our reading he was on born.  Lets do this..All the way.
And the learning continues.
All the prayers in Judaism seem to be about worshiping G-d not a wish list of things for G-d to do for them.  Usually prayers are, Lord help me do this, help so and so do that, help us get things we want or want to happen. G-d seem a lot like a magic genie to a lot of people. I also loved how much love Jews feel for all people no matter their faith.  There is no hard feeling between people of other faiths which is such a relief.
When you grow up in the south there is a lot of fighting over which Bible is the best to go by and each denomination thinks their way is the best way,  So many holiday or just family visits end up with an argument about a verse out of the Bible and how it means one thing and someone thinks it means something else.  They will never stop trying to save you if they know you don't belief in Jesus or you do believe but don't go to church. Now I love that I can respect other people's belief no matter how they differ from mine.  Rabbi Ginsburg's you tube videos show how Jews believe and what it means to be Jewish.   He has so much respect for others with different beliefs.  I respect others more when they aren't telling you that you are wrong and you need to believe the way they do.  Why do people get so upset and angry when you don't believe their way.  I would never talk anyone into becoming Jewish and I don't want others trying to get me to be a Christian.  Thanks for care about my soul but it is already in good hands with G-d (no jesus required) but I know it is coming from a good place so thank you.  I may have to repeat this a lot since people around me fight over religion when it is talked about  and they are all from the same religion.  But there is no reason to fight.  Believe in what fills your heart and makes you feel as if your happiness is bursting out of your pores.  If your religion doesn't do that for you then don't be afraid to learn about another one and find G-d's love for yourself.

Step 2

From learning Jewish beliefs I became accepting of all religion and people.  When someone is mean or rude, I feel for them instead of becoming filled with anger toward them.
I have learned that having the best life right here and now is very important.  Being happy, caring for others, giving to charity and experiencing new things ; have been pointed out over and over again in my studies about Judaism.   G-d gave us this life to enjoy and  to show our dedication and thankfulness to him. I was always told to not worry about the worldly things because G-d is making us a heavenly home and that is what matters.  Jews believe in this world.  Love it, live it, experience it everyday.  I will not waste the time G-d has given me here on the earth he made for us to enjoy.   Our Covenant with G-d is why we follow the 613 commandment and  I will honor and keep the traditions set by G-d.
We decided to start the traditions and holidays as Jews right away.  This is a lot harder than it sounds but more on that later.

Step 3 -- Living like Jews

We got a mezuzah for the front door.
I made cute signs for above the kids beds that have the Shema prayer on it.
We started studying the Torah and the Talmud.
We have Shabbat every Friday night through Saturday.
I have learned that there is a lot we have to do to be Jewish.  It is not an easy or a quick decision to make.   We have to learn a lot of Hebrew words and prayers.  We have to change most of our holidays and learn a lot of new ones.   We have to learn the Torah and the Talmud but for the first time in my life it isn't a HAVE TO thing.  I want to do these things.  I feel honored and blessed to get the chance to keep a covenant with G-d.  I want to do the traditions and holidays because it is a way to honor G-d and Thank him and is truly a very small price to pay for what he has given us.
Any one who has known me would not believe that I would feel this way.  I never said these things.
All of my harsh feels and resentment for G-d was lifted when I learn about G-d from the heart of a Jewish Rabbi.     Everyday that I see my husband growing more in love with Judaism as he learns new things I grow more in love with him.  I want us to share this passion and love with each other and for us both to share it with our children.
I feel I am giving my kids an amazing gift of Judaism.  I was worried I was taking so much away from them by giving up christmas and easter.  It was a big worry at first but the more we learned the less it mattered and then  I was happy to not have these holidays.

Step 4

Learning time.  I watch Rabbi Ginsburg everyday about 2 or 3 videos on Jewish belief and traditions.  My husband also watches a few each day.  We both read a part in the Torah and then at night we review what we each heard and read today.  We discuss how we will apply these new things into our lives.  I never thought I would be the kind of person who reads a Bible everyday.  I prayed when I wasn't angry at G-d but that was the most I could do.  Religion made me feel judged and I always came out of the judgement feeling less than the others around me.  As if I wasn't good enough to believe and to worship.  Which is why I am so grateful to Judaism and it's welcoming ways and people.   I have emailed questions to Rabbi Ginsburg and he has answered my emails and even emailed a few days later to make sure I didn't have follow up questions.

For now we will continue on this path with more information to come.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, you would have been a Nazi.

 People often say that if they lived in Nazi Germany that they would not have gone along with the Germans.  They would have known it was wro...